Bruno's Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Cream Recipe
- For chocolate leaves, brush melted chocolate on undersides of holly or possibly lemon leaves; chill till hard, carefully peel off leaves.
- For Cake:Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans.
- Beat yolks till they are pale yellow and form a ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 5 min. Beat in rum and vanilla.
- Beat whites with cream of tartar to soft peaks. Add in sugar 1 Tbsp. at a time and continue beating till stiff and shiny.
- Stir 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate and butter into yolks till well combined. Gently mix in 1/4 of egg whites to lighten the batter, then gently mix in the remaining whites.
- Sift together cornstarch and cocoa; combine with grnd amaretti., Gently fold into the batter.
- Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake till centers of cakes rise and tops begin to crack, 18 to 20 min. Cold 10 min in pans, then cold completely on wire rack (cakes will fall slightly.)
- For Chocolate Cream:Whisk together 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate and warm water; cold to room temperature. Whip cream till nearly stiff. Gently fold chocolate mix and rum into whipped cream.
- To Assemble:Set aside 1/4 of the chocolate cream for decorating the top of the cake. Spread remainder proportionately between the 3 layers, stacking them neatly, then spread over the reserved cream over the top and sides.
- Measure height of the cake. On a sheet of parchment or possibly waxed paper, spread 3 ounces melted semisweet chocolate into rectangle 1/16-inch-thick and as wide as the cake is high. Repeat with melted white chocolate on another sheet of parchment. Chill till chocolate is hard but not brittle, about 15 min. Cut chocolate crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide strips. Chill to refirm chocolate, about 15 min.
- Carefully arrange strips alternately around edges of cake, gently pressing into icing. Spoon reserved chocolate cream into pastry bag fitted with a no. 3 round tip. Pipe mix into straight lines atop the cake. Dust lightly with cocoa;' chill. Garnish with chocolate leaves. Bring to room temperature before serving.