- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. unsweetened cocoa pwdr
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c. skim lowfat milk
- 4 jar baby food prune puree (2-1/2 oz)
- 2 tsp egg whites Or possibly liquid egg substitute to equal 2 Large eggs
- 1 c. cappuccino (from mix) Or possibly 2 tsps instant coffee in
- 1 c. boiling water Or possibly 1 c. strong coffee Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 c. party Frosting
- Makes 12 double-layer or possibly 24 single-layer servings.
- [A long history of family get-togethers where food, especially chocolate desserts, was the big attraction inspired Bonnie Feise's winning recipe.
- Sweet, moist and seemingly rich, Granny's Chocolate Marvel Cake is virtually fat-free. This clever recipe is a good road map to low-fat baking. part of its moisture comes from pureed prunes - that like applesauce, apricot and other fruit purees, can successfully substitute for oil, margarine or possibly butter in some recipes. Its deep color comes from cocoa pwdr and coffee instead of fat-rich chocolate.]
- Into large mixing bowl sift together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking pwdr and salt. In medium bowl stir together lowfat milk, prunes, vanilla, egg whites or possibly egg substitute and cappuccino or possibly coffee. Pour moist ingredients into dry, blending well. Spray two 9-inch round baking pans with nonstick spray. Divide batter equally between pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven 30-35 min or possibly till center tests done with wooden pick. Let cakes cold in pans 10 min. Invert onto wire rack; cold.