Cost per serving $1.46 view details
- 6 Tbsp. butter - (3/4 stick) room temperature
- 2 lb fresh broccoli stems and florets
- Â Â separated and minced bite-size pcs
- 1 lrg onion minced
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp minced fresh tarragon
- Â Â (or possibly 1/2 tspn dry tarragon)
- 6Â 1/2 c. chicken stock
- Â Â (or possibly canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (packed, abt 8 ounce)
- Heat 3 Tbsp. butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Add in broccoli stems and onion; saute/fry till onion is translucent/soft, about 6 min. Add in garlic and tarragon; saute/fry 1 minute. Add in stock; bring to boil. Simmer uncovered till broccoli is tender, about 15 min. Stir in cream.
- Mix remaining 3 Tbsp. butter with flour in small bowl to make paste. Whisk paste into soup. Add in broccoli florets. Simmer till soup thickens and florets are tender, stirring frequently, about 5 min. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cold slightly, then chill uncovered till cool. Cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
- Preheat broiler. Place 6 ovenproof soup bowls on baking sheet. Divide soup among bowls. Sprinkle 1/3 c. cheese over each. Broil till cheese melts and bubbles around edges, about 4 min.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
- Comments: "As a student at Bloomsburg University, I spent many Sunday afternoons at Russell"s restaurant in downtown Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania," writes Marganne Hoffman of Lebanon, Pennsylvania. "A decade after graduating, I still crave their cheddar-crusted broccoli soup. I would be thrilled if the owners would share the recipe-and so would my family."
- The stems and florets are added to the soup separately so which the stems will cook till tender and the florets won"t overcook.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 410g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 172||70%|
|Total Fat 19.59g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 12.03g||48%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.14g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.9g||13%|