This is a print preview of "Broccoli and Mushroom Quiche" recipe.
Broccoli and Mushroom Quiche Recipe
I made this quiche for father's day and it was adored by the adults, not so much by the kids. The garlic ads a nice dimension and a little kick. I loved it, and will definitely make again.
Note: Quiche can be baked 1 day ahead and chilled. Reheat, uncovered, in a 325°F oven, about 25 minutes.
|Prep time: 15 minutes
|Cook time: 30-45 minutes
||Servings: 6 Servings
All-butter pastry dough
10 ounces (1-inch-wide) broccoli florets (with 1 to 2 inches of stem attached)
6 ounces mushrooms quartered or sliced
2 large garlic cloves
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
5 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Equipment: a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate or a 9-inch (2-inch-deep) round fluted tart pan with removable bottom; pie weights or dried beans
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F with rack in middle.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round. Fit dough into pie plate, letting excess hang over edge. Fold overhang inward and press against side of pie plate to reinforce edge. Prick bottom all over with a fork. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Line pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake until pastry is set and edge is pale golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove foil and weights, then bake shell until deep golden all over, 15 to 20 minutes more. Put pie plate in a 4-sided sheet pan. Leave oven on.
- While shell bakes, cook broccoli in a 3-quart pot of boiling salted water 4 minutes. Drain broccoli and rinse under cold water to stop cooking, then pat dry.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, saute the mushrooms until they are lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Add a small amount of oil or butter to the pan if you like.
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a generous pinch of salt.
- Whisk together garlic paste, eggs, half-and-half, nutmeg, cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl until smooth.
- Pour filling into pie shell, add broccoli and mushrooms, then sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake quiche until custard is just set, 45 to 50 minutes. (Center will tremble slightly; filling will continue to set as it cools.) Cool at least 20 minutes.
- Serve quiche warm or at room temperature.