A very simple and underestimated cookie I am including in my Christmas cookie gift boxes this year. In order to feel less guilty about how nutrious these were I added flax seeds along with the oats.
- 1/2 c unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 c (packed) brown sugar
- 1/4 c golden syrup (US substitution: corn syrup)
- 2 1/3 c quick cooking oats (NOT instant, old fashion or steel cut)
- 2T whole flax seeds
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Butter 8x8 metal baking pan, line w parchment for easiest removal
- Combine first 3 ingredients in heavy saucepan.
- Stirring constantly over med-low heat until butter melts, sugar dissolves and mixture becomes incorporated/smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Add oats, salt and flax seeds.
- Stir until well coated.
- Transfer to baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until top is golden (edges will be slightly darker), about 25 minutes. Don't worry about the gooey-ness, once they cool its what keeps them chewy.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes.
- Cut into squares or triangles (it will be soft). Leave in pan to cool completely.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 62g|
|Recipe makes 9 servings|
|Calories from Fat 114||42%|
|Total Fat 13.05g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 6.97g||28%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 33.07g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||14%|