Pasta for breakfast? Why not? This is a great dish that can really be served for lunch or dinner as well. But, with the eggs we decided to call it breakfast pasta. It is filling and satisfying. The best thing is that you can really play with it any way you like...change ingredients and add something you really like.
- 1/3 box of fettucini pasta
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk ( or soy, almond, rice milk)
- 6 sundried tomato halves (NOT packaged in oil)
- 1-2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp. freshly grated Asiago cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Boil about 4 cups of water and soak the sun-
- dried tomato halves for about 15 - 20 minutes
- to soften them. Remove the tomatoes and set aside.
- Add the reserved liquid from the tomatoes to a
- larger pot. Add more water and cook the pasta al-dente.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion, sun dried tomatoes, bell pepper,
- fresh basil and mince the garlic.
- In a small to medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs
- and milk. Add a little ground black pepper.
- In a medium to large size skillet heat the olive oil. Add the
- onions, peppers and garlic and cook on medium heat til tender
- (about 5 - 8 minutes).
- When the pasta is finished cooking, drain and rinse it.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and mix to turn in the onion and
- peppers. Add the red pepper flakes. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes
- stirring to avoid burning the pasta.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and immediately begin
- to toss it with the pasta. This coats the pasta with the egg
- rather than having it all sink to the bottom.
- Add in the sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil and red pepper flakes.
- Mix it thoroughly. By now the egg will begin to set (cook). Allow
- the mixture to settle, reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Cook for about 5 - 8 minutes.
- Carefully place a wide spatula under the pasta mixture and flip
- it in the skillet. Allow it to cook another 5 - 8 minutes.
- When done, flip onto large serving plate, sprinkle with Asiago
- cheese and cut into quarters.
- Serve with avocado slices and a side of salsa or fruit slices and
- Serves 4
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 344g|
|Calories from Fat 356||72%|
|Total Fat 39.88g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 9.44g||38%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.31g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|