Cost per serving $1.44 view details
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- Â Â Bones, wings, scraps of 3 whole chickens excess fat removed
- 3 x carrots coarsely minced
- 2 x onions coarsely minced
- 4 x celery ribs coarsely minced
- 3 quart water
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
- 1 bn parsley stems
- 2 x one-day-old baguettes cut into chunks
- 2 c. lowfat milk
- 1/4 lb prosciutto cut into 1/8" dice
- 1Â 1/2 c. Parmigiano-Reggiano divided
- 4 x Large eggs separated, and
- Â Â yolks beaten
- 1/4 c. minced Italian parsley
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 c. fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil for frying
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil till smoking. Add in the chicken bones and scraps and brown all over, stirring to avoid burning. Remove the chicken parts and reserve.
- Add in the carrots, onions and celery and cook till soft and browned. Return the chicken bones to the pot and add in 3 qts of water, the tomato paste, peppercorns and parsley, stirring to dislodge the browned chicken and vegetable bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring almost to a boil, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook at a low simmer for 2 hrs, till reduced by half, occasionally skimming excess fat.
- After cooking, remove from heat and strain out all solids, pressing them with the bottom of a ladle to extract out all liquids. Stir the stock to facilitate cooling and set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, cover the bread with the lowfat milk. Allow to sit for 10 min. Squeeze the lowfat milk from the bread by hand, cut the bread into a coarse dice and place in a medium bowl. Add in the prosciutto and 1 c. Parmigiano-Reggiano, egg yolks, parsley, and salt and pepper and roll into balls the size of a quarter.
- Roll each ball in the egg whites, then the breadcrumbs. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the oil till almost smoking. Cook the balls till golden brown and remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
- When they"ve liquid removed, divide them proportionately among six warmed soup bowls, pour the warm broth over them and serve with the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano sprinkled over the top.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 774g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 313||56%|
|Total Fat 35.26g||44%|
|Saturated Fat 8.91g||36%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 39.23g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.9g||13%|