Cost per serving $1.29 view details
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 4 x duck legs with thighs - (abt 2 lbs)
- 4 x duck wings, tip joint trimmed off (abt 1 lb)
- 1 lrg onion quartered
- 3 x carrots coarsely minced
- 3 x celery stalks coarsely minced
- 4 x garlic cloves chopped
- 2 x fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 x fresh tarragon sprigs
- 1 c. chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- 2 x Granny Smith apples quartered
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh tarragon
- Heat oil in large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat till oil shimmers. Salt and pepper duck legs and wings on both sides, then, working in batches, brown duck, about 5 min per side. Set aside. Repeat till all duck has been browned.
- Pour off all but sufficient fat to coat skillet. Add in onion, carrots, celery and a little salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, till vegetables soften and begin to brown, about 15 min. Add in garlic and sprigs of thyme and tarragon. Cook till vegetables are almost tender, 3 to 5 min more.
- Arrange duck, skin-side up, over vegetables. Add in sufficient stock to cover vegetables but not duck. Bring stock to simmer. Add in apples and transfer skillet to 350 degree oven. Gently simmer - just an occasional bubble - basting occasionally, till duck is very tender and well browned, about 2 hrs.
- Remove duck from pan and cover loosely with foil. Strain braising liquid, pressing vegetables and apples with wooden spoon. Throw away vegetables and apples and return liquid to skillet. Bring to simmer and skim off fat.
- Whisk butter and minced thyme and tarragon into braising liquid. Return duck to skillet, heat through, then serve.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 279g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 140||54%|
|Total Fat 15.88g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 5.01g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.18g|
|Total Carbs 22.47g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.3g||14%|