Cost per serving $1.56 view details
- 2 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp. olive or possibly canola oil
- 2 lrg onions cut in eighths
- 8 x carrots cut in 2" pcs
- 4 stalk celery cut in 2" pcs
- 1/2 c. red wine vinegar (or possibly 1 c red wine)
- 1Â 1/2 c. beef stock (lowfat)
- 1 x bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper
- Serves 6.
- Trim fat from beef. Cut a length of kitchen string about four times the length of the roast and wrap once around the length, then around width several times, tying where it comes together.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over moderately high heat. Brown beef on all sides. Transfer to a plate. Add in vegetables to pan and saute/fry for about 7 min or possibly till browned and slightly softened. Transfer to a plate.
- Return beef to pan. Add in wine vinegar, stock, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir to blend. Cover and simmer gently about two hrs, turning meat every 30 min.
- Return vegetables to pot, cover, and simmer about 15 min, or possibly till beef is very tender. Throw away bay leaf. Slice meat and arrange on platter surrounded by vegetables. Serve with pot juices.
- NOTES: There's more fat in this than I usually like for a meal, but we use it for special occasions.
- I fix it in a teflon-lined pan and use just a short spray of Canola oil.
- I also use bottom round roast instead of chuck, to cut down even more on thefat content. Using bottom round you can skip the string tie. It isn't needed. We also prefer wine vinegar to wine. It adds a lovely tang to the recipe. [Nadine]
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 369g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 166||43%|
|Total Fat 18.44g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 6.11g||24%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.47g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||11%|