Cost per recipe $11.13 view details
- 2 Tbsp. Or possibly 2, (1/4-oz) pkgs. active dry yeast
- 1/2 c. Hot water, (about 110 degrees)
- 1 c. Hot lowfat milk, (about 110 degrees)
- 1/2 c. Soft butter
- 1/2 c. Granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Grated lemon rind
- 2 lrg Large eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mace
- 4Â 1/2 c. unbleached flour, up to 5
- 1 c. Finely minced hazelnuts
- 2 c. Diced mixed candied fruits
- 2 c. Powdered sugar
- 7 Tbsp. Heavy cream, up to 9
- In a large bowl, stir yeast into water to soften. Add in lowfat milk, butter, sugar, lemon rind, Large eggs, salt, mace, and 2 c. flour. Beat vigorously for 2 min.
- Gradually add in flour, 1/4 c. at a time, till the dough begins to pull away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Knead, adding flour a little at a time, till you have a smooth, elastic dough.
- Put dough into an oiled bowl. Turn to coat the entire ball of dough with oil. Cover with a tightly woven towel and let rise till doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface and divide in half.
- Using a rolling pin, roll half of the dough into a 22 by 9-inch rectangle. Cover and let rest 5 min on the work surface.
- Cut the dough into three 22-inch long strips.
- Mix the nuts and candied fruit. Fill the center of each strip with 1/2 c. of the nut and fruit mix. Bring edges together and healthy pinch to seal forming three 22-inch-long strands.
- Lay the strands side-by-side on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Turn the baking sheet so the strands are facing lengthwise away from you.
- Starting in the center of the strands, place the right strand over the middle strand (the right strand has now become the middle strand), then the left strand over the middle, the right over the middle, left over the middle, etc. Continue this process till the strands are too short to braid. Don't healthy pinch the end together.
- To braid the other end of the loaf, turn the baking sheet around so which the unbraided portion is facing you. Place the middle strand over the right strand, then middle strand over the left, middle over the right, middle over the left, etc., till the ends are too short to braid. Join the ends of the braid to create a wreath, and healthy pinch to seal. Repeat with the other half of the dough. Cover with a tightly woven towel and let rise till almost doubled, about 45 min.
- About 10 min before baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 25 min, or possibly till the internal temperature of the loaf reaches190 degrees.
- Immediately remove bread from baking sheet and cold on a rack for 20 min.
- Combine powdered sugar and cream. Mix should be the consistency of honey (if it isn't, adjust by adding more cream to thin it or possibly powdered sugar to thicken it). Drizzle over the top of each wreath.
- Yield: 2 wreaths
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2132g|
|Calories from Fat 1583||29%|
|Total Fat 181.75g||227%|
|Saturated Fat 90.52g||362%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 864.7g||231%|
|Dietary Fiber 29.3g||98%|