- (from Texas Home Cooking)
- 2 lb round steak, sliced 1/2 in thick, twice tenderized by butcher (or possibly use cube steaks. Place in Ziploc bags and beat with mallet or possibly rolling pin till thin)
- 2 c. flour
- 2 tsp baking pwdr
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 x egg
- 1 tsp Tabasco (optional)
- 2 x cloves garlic, chopped shortening (Crisco)
- Cut steak into 4 equal portions. Lb. till each is about 1/4 in thick.
- Place flour in shallow bowl. In second dish, stir together the baking pwdr and soda, pepper, and salt, and fold in the buttermilk, egg. Tabasco, and garlic. The mix will be thin. Dredge each steak first in flour and then in batter. Dunk the steaks back in the flour and dredge them well, patting in the flour till the surface is dry.
- Add in sufficient shortening to a deep cast iron skillet or possibly Dutch oven to deep fry the steaks in at least 4 inches of fat. Bring temperature to 325 degrees F. Fry steaks, pushing them down under the fat or possibly turning them over as they bob to the surface, for 7-8 min or possibly till golden. Drain the steaks and transfer to a platter. Keep hot while you prepare cream gravy. Serve with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.  Spike believes which "cream gravy" is really
- "white sauce."