- 2 1/4 c. whipping cream
- 1 c. half and half
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 6 x egg yolks
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1/4 c. plus 1/3 sugar
- 3/4 c. water
- 3 bag frzn unsweetened boysenberries or possibly thawed (16-oz) blackberries
- 4 c. fresh boysenberries blackberries and/or possibly raspberries Fresh mint leaves Assorted cookies (optional)
- For Ice Cream
- Bring 1 1/4 c. cream, half and half and sugar to simmer in heavy large saucepan, stirring occasionally. Whisk yolks in large bowl to blend.
- gradually whisk in cream mix. Return mix to saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat till mix thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 4 min; don't boil. Strain mix
- into bowl. Fold in remaining 1 c. whipping cream, lemon juice and peel.
- Chill till cool. Transfer mix to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instruction. Transfer ice cream to container and freeze.
- For Sorbet
- Stir 1 1/4 c. sugar and 1/2 c. water in heavy medium saucepan over low heat till sugar dissolves. Puree 2 bags berries with sugar syrup in processor. Strain through coarse sieve into bowl, pressing firmly on seeds. Refrigeratetill cool. Transfer mix to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Carefully line 12-c. ring mold with foil, pressing as smoothly as possible to eliminate wrinkles and extending over sides. Fill prepared ring mold alternately with 1/3-c. scoops sorbet and 1/3-c. scoops ice cream. Freeze 1 hour. Cover bombe with plastic. Press down firmly to pack. Freeze bombe overnight. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead.)
- Puree remaining 1 bag of berries with remaining 1/3 c. sugar and 1/4 c. water in processor. Strain through coarse sieve into bowl, pressing firmly on seeds. Cover sauce and refrigeratetill cool. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead.)
- Place round platter in freezer 30 min. Lift bombe from mold using foil as aid. Invert bombe onto platter; peel off foil. Mound some berries in center of bombe. Arrange more berries around sides. Garnish top and sides with mint. Cut into slices and arrange on plates. Spoon sauce and berries around each. Serve with cookies.
- Serves 12.