Cost per recipe $2.48 view details
- 5 lrg Louisiana yams or possibly 6 medium
- Â Â Vegetable oil
- 1/3 c. Curacao
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1/4 c. bourbon
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly grnd white pepper
- Wash the yams and scrub them well. Dry thoroughly.E Rub the skins with a bit of vegetable oil, then place the yams in a shallow baking dish and bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 30 min. Allow to cold slightly, then peel and cut into 3/4 inch slices.E In a small saucepan, heat 4 Tblsp. of the butter over low heat, hen add in the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Butter a 3-4 qt casserole and put the yam slices in it in 3 layers, pouring 1/3 of the seasoned butter sauce over each layer. Bake covered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 min, then remove the casserole form the oven and uncover.E
- With a large wooden spoon, stir up the contents, cutting the yam slices in half and bringing the bottom layers to the top.
- When it is thoroughly mixed, press the mix down firmly with the back of the spoon. Smooth and flatten the top surface and dot it proportionately with the remaining 2 Tblsp. of butter, cut into small pcs. Return to the 350 degree oven and bake uncovered for 20 min longer.
- NOTES : One of New Orleans favorite yam dishes, festive and attractive. The yams are partially baked in their jackets first, then peeled and baked in a casserole with butter. Curacao (orange flavored liqueur), bourbon, and spices. To get the flavors thoroughly distributed during baking, take the dish out of the oven after 20 min and stir the yams gently with a wooden spoon, bringing the bottom layers up to the top. Then, pack them down with the back of the spoon and put a bit more butter on top to create a lightly glazed crust. Regular sweet potatoes will work.E Cointreau plus 2 teaspoon sugar can be used in place of Curacao.E
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 248g|
|Calories from Fat 618||53%|
|Total Fat 70.33g||88%|
|Saturated Fat 44.81g||179%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 102.51g||27%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|