Cost per recipe $1.31 view details
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking pwdr
- 2 Tbsp. finely minced fresh parsley
- 4 doz cherrystone clams shucked, liquid removed, and coarsely minced
- 2 x Large eggs
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 c. clam juice reserved from clams
- 1/4 c. lowfat milk
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 pch cayenne pepper Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste Vegetable oil
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking pwdr in mixing bowl. Whisk in Large eggs, lemon juice, clam juice, lowfat milk, butter, and cayenne, whisking till batter is smooth. Add in parsley and clams, then season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add in vegetable oil to a heavy skillet to a depth of 1/8 inch and heat over medium heat. When the oil is warm but not smoking, spoon about 2 Tbsp. of clam batter for each fritter into the warm oil. (Work in batches and avoid crowding the pan.) Fry till golden brown on one side, then turn fritters and continue frying about 2 min more. Drain on paper towels. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe yields about 16 fritters.
- Comments: Craig Claiborne, longtime food editor of the New York Times, called this recipe "Americana, pure and simple".
- Yield: 16 fritters
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 405g|
|Calories from Fat 207||27%|
|Total Fat 23.35g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 10.94g||44%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 108.91g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.0g||13%|