Fiori Di Sicilia...from King Arthur Flour company. It says will last indefinately on the label..this one 4 years old and still good.
Cinnamon Almonds collide with buttery pastry, honey and Sicilian Fiori custard for one of the world's ultimate bread puddings....Bear Claw Budino.
Add candied fruit to change holiday themes.
- 2 1/2 C. Fat free Half and Half or Almond Milk
- 6 eggs (Yolks separated)
- 3/4 C. Sugar
- 1/4 C. Honey
- 4 12oz. Trays of Buttery Dinner Rolls
- 3 Bear Claw Pastries
- 1 C. Cinnamon Almonds (or Honey Roast)
- 2 C. Frozen Black Cherries or Candied Fruit (optional)
- 1/2 t. Vanilla
- 3 drops Fiori di Sicilia flavoring (a little goes along way)
- This Budino is designed to be moist and fluffy so that you will not need a sauce however I did ultimately drizzle Dulce de Leche caramel sauce over the slices just for fun...if I had used the fruit or candied fruit then I would have made a vanilla glaze instead.
- Recipe for 10.2 inch springform pan.
- Tear 3 packages of dinner rolls into pieces and put into a large bowl...yes I put 4 on the ingredients list because some people want to tear it smaller and make a heavier loaf.
- Tear 1 Bear Claw pastry into pieces and add to bowl saving the other 2 for the garnish.
- Place a round piece of waxed paper or a layer of cookie crumbs into the bottom of the spring form pan.
- In a small sauce pan whisk 4 egg yolks with 2 C. Half and Half and 3/4 C. Sugar then heat on medium flame while whisking until it begins to thicken.
- Let custard cool.
- Add Fiori di Sicilia flavoring, Vanilla, remaining Half and Half, 2 whole eggs, and 2 reserved whites...there will be 2 unused whites remaining for your alternate uses.
- Whisk or blend thoroughly.
- Pour half of the Custard mix over the bread chunks in the bowl and turn to coat gently with a rubber spatula.
- Heat Oven to 350F for baking.
- Begin placing Bread mixture into pan gently in 3 layers and do not ram pack the bread into the pan...for best fluffy texture.
- Slowly push and poke the bread mixture into place to distribute evenly...do not be rough with this or it would turn to paste.
- Drizzle honey and Sprinkle the Almonds between the Layers (And if using fruit add it also).
- Drizzle remaining custard slowly between the layers...I precook part of the custard so it will not be so thin as to run straight to the bottom of the pan...it clings to the bread better.
- Dip or moisten the remaining Bear Claw pastries and create a garnish for the top with the Cinnamon Almonds.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes then increase heat to 375F for 15 minutes until top is brown.
- Remove Bear Claw Budino from oven and let cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Serve and or Glaze as desired.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 141g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 86||40%|
|Total Fat 9.72g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5.18g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.5g||2%|