Cost per serving $0.48 view details
- For the Crumbs:
- 5 tbsp vegan margarine at room temp
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts* optional
- For the Cake:
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh, or frozen, not thawed)
- 2 cups plus 2 tsp unbleached flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- grated zest of 1/2 orange
- 6 tbsp vegan margarine at room temp
- Egg Replacer for 2 eggs (mix for 1 at a time)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan buttermilk (1/2 cup soymilk & 1tsp white vinegar)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 8x8 pan
- To make the crumbs:
- In a food processor mix all the ingredients except the nuts until the mixture forms clumps and holds together when pressed. Place into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until needed.
- To make the cake: Using your fingertips, toss the blueberries and 2 tsp of the flour together in a small bowl just to coat the berries; set aside. Whisk together the remaining 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, rub the sugar and
- zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and aromatic. Add the butter and beat the sugar with the butter
- until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg replacer one by one, beating for about 1 minute after each addition, then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk
- alternately, the flour in 3 parts and the buttermilk in 2 (begin and end with the dry ingredients.) You will have a thick, creamy batter.
- Gently stir in the berries.
- Scrape the batter into the buttered pan and smooth the top gently with a spatula. Remove crumbs from fridge and with your fingers break into pieces and scatter the crumbs over the batter.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until the crumbs are golden, or knife/toothpick comes out clean.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 51g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 11||8%|
|Total Fat 1.33g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0.15g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 29.78g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|