I have to say This Black Forest Cupcake Recipe is one of my favorites. The Whipped Cream Frosting is so fluffy and light that makes up for the super dark chocolate cupcake and the cherry flavor, yumm. The cutest cupcakes ever!!!!
I found this recipe for chocolate cupcake from a fellow blogger and I loved it so I decided to tweak it and make a Black Forest Cupcake using it!
This recipe will make about 36- 48 cupcakes and enough frosting for it.
Also, I would like to remind you all that this is whipped cream frosting, so not a very good idea for those very hot days of summer since cream goes bad easily and doesn’t hold shape so well. But The Whipped cream will last for a couple of days in the fridge without any problems and I also researched a lot of ways to keep stability to the whipping cream and I found out Powdered sugar works really great
- INGREDIENTS FOR THE CUPCAKE:
- 3 oz of semi sweet chocolate Morsels (I used Nestle)
- 1 1/2 cups of hot brewed coffee
- 3 cups of sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Nestle)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of oil (I used vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 cups of well shaken buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- INGREDIENTS FOR WHIPPING CREAM ICING:
- 4 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 8 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1/8 of cup of cherry syrup (from maraschino cherries)
- 1 jar of maraschino cherries with stems for decoration
- 1 bakerâs semi sweet chocolate baking squares package (or any solid chocolate you prefer) for shavings to decorate cupcakes
- HOW TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat your oven to 300F and line your cupcake pan with liners.
- On a small bowl add chocolate morsels and SUPER HOT coffee and let it sit there stirring it once in a while to melt chocolate.
- On your KitchenAid Mixer bowl with the paddle attachment on start beating the eggs on slow speed for about 3 minutes until they become creamy.
- In the mean time, in a medium size bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt and reserve.
- Once the eggs are ready lets start adding the oil very slowly incorporating little by little, once its all blended you will do the same with the buttermilk (make sure buttermilk is well shaken). Now Its time to add vanilla extract, and the coffee and chocolate mixture into this mix ( make sure the chocolate has melted into the coffee) until combined.
- Lets start adding the flour mixture little by little until batter looks smooth and mixed well.
- Pour batter into cupcakes and bake it for about 20 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely before icing it.
- HOW TO MAKE THE WHIPPING CREAM ICING:
- Lets start putting our KitchenAid Mixer Bowl and Whipping attachment tool into the freezer for at least 15 minutes before whipping the cream and making sure our heavy whipping cream is in the fridge.
- Now that our tools are extremely cold Its time to start whipping the cream.
- Pour the Heavy whipping cream and the powdered sugar all together into the bowl and start whipping it on speed 2 on your KitchenAid Mixer (the reason why is that lower speed will take a lot longer to whip but will hold its shape for a longer time as well), once the cream looks thicker, its time to add the cherry syrup (you can add a little more if you think there is not enough cherry taste to it) and keep beating it. Once it starts forming thicker cream you can turn it off and take the whipping attachment and finish whipping by hand so you wont over do it. (The Sign your whipping cream is ready should be when peak are forming and not falling from your whipping tool).
- Pour the whipping cream into the icing bag (decorating bag with the tip on, I used 827) and let it cool down in the fridge for about 30 minutes before you decorate your cupcakes.
- HOW TO DECORATE YOUR CUPCAKES:
- Shave the chocolate baking squares and reserve.
- With the decorating bag (or you can use a zip lock bag with the tip cut off) pipe the icing on the top of your cupcakes and sprinkle the chocolate shavings over it and the cherry goes on the top!
- Your Black Forest Cupcakes are ready!
- Just make sure you keep it in the Fridge overnight!
- Enjoy it!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 49g|
|Recipe makes 48 servings|
|Calories from Fat 76||46%|
|Total Fat 8.67g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3.24g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 21.17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|