This spicy chili paste will give any food a much richer taste. I've also seen it used as a dip for fresh vegetables. Used that way, it is one for the very brave individuals with a strong, spicy pallet.
I like to dry/roast the fresh jalapenos in the oven, which takes about 2 hours or so. If there are time constraints to prepare them that way, then store-bought, dried green jalapeno peppers could be substituted. Either way, the paste, covered in a tight jar, will last in the fridge indefinitely.
- Olive oil (to lightly drizzle on jalapeno peppers)
- 3 oz of fresh green jalapeno peppers (or 2 oz dried, store-bought)
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (for frying the mixture)
- 1/2 cup shallots, chopped
- 3/4 cup garlic, chopped
- 4 oz dried shrimps/prawns
- 1 Tablespoon shrimp paste, or a combination half mixture of anchovy paste and oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 oz fish sauce
- 1/8 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the fresh jalapeno peppers on a baking sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Turn over the peppers to ensure they are all covered in the oil. Place sheet in oven. Every 30 minutes, turn over and rotate the peppers, until they turn a dark brown. This will take about 2-2 1/2 hours. Check to ensure that they do not burn. Turn off oven and let peppers rest for about 20 minutes. Remove sheet.
- Heat a medium skillet with oil. Add the peppers, shallots and garlic and fry until dark brown. Remove fried ingredients. Add hot water to the pan. Place the fried ingredients into a blender with the dried shrimps, the shrimp paste (or anchovy and oyster sauce), fish sauce and sugar. Start to process until a smooth mixture forms. The mixture will be very tight, so add some hot water, at 1 oz. increments, to the paste, as you continue to process. The blender will, most likely, need to be turned off several times so the mixture could be stirred and the water added.
- Pour the mixture into a medium skillet and fry on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove, cool and place in a jar with a tight lid. Yield is about 1/2 cups.
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 418g|
|Calories from Fat 26||6%|
|Total Fat 2.97g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.52g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 73.36g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.1g||14%|