Cost per serving $0.82 view details
- 3 c. Black beans, or possibly turtle beans, cooked
- 14 ounce Stewed tomatoes, Mexican Style, liquid removed and strained
- 1 x 10 ounces wh kernel corn, frzn, or possibly 8 ounces canned
- 1/2 c. Red onion, diced
- 1/2 c. Minced red bell pepper, or possibly less
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Grnd cumin
- Â Â Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Salad oil
- 1 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- 1 x Chicken breast, grilled, cut into strips
- Â Â Optionals,
- 2 Tbsp. Mild mixed green pepper, canned
- 1/4 tsp Grnd cinnamon
- Â Â Freshly grnd black pepper
- Â Â Oregano
- Pantry notes - Select small oval black beans. Drain canned beans in a sieve and rinse thoroughly under cool water. Try canned stewed tomatoes with Jalapeno peppers, chili pwdr, cumin, and pepper (Del Monte has one; S&W). Drain, reserve the liquid; chop the tomatoes (thumbnail size).
- Avoid seeds and watery pulp. Select a light salad oil: olive, safflower, corn, canola, blend, etc.
- Combine ingredients before 'optionals.' Taste and add in salt and pepper, a few more chilis, cinnamon, and/or possibly oregano. If too dry, add in some tomato liquid. Store in the refrigerator till well chilled, at least 4 hrs.
- Serve as a salad on shredded iceburg or possibly mixed leaf lettuce. Greatest as a filling for a QUESADILLA with a little shredded monterey jack cheese! (Heat skillet to medium high; spray one side of a flour torilla with vegetable oil; place oiled side down in the skillet; spoon on some filling. Top with cheese. Cover with another torilla. After about 2 min, spray the top torilla and turn it; brown about 1 minute. Serve with sauce casera.)
- This idea's popular! Continue to tweak the seasonings and proportions.
- their City Cuinsine book (1989). Del Monte ad (1989) suggests similar spices to make a salsa from their canned tomatoes. Recently (May 1996)
- Lucky supermarkets introduced a chicken salad from their deli which resembles this. - May 13, 96
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 167g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 55||17%|
|Total Fat 6.21g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1.33g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 50.22g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 11.9g||40%|