Cost per serving $2.42 view details
- 1 lb Dry black beans
- 1 Tbsp. Whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Dry oregano leaves
- 1 sm Pasilla chile
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lrg Yellow onion, minced
- 1 tsp Salt, plus more to taste
- 1 x Chipotle chile, minced
- 4 x Cloves garlic, minced
- 4 x Tomatoes, (large and ripe) peeled, seeded, and minced
- 1 x Green bell pepper, (medium size) seeded and minced
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 lb Sirloin steak
- 1/2 c. Cilantro, minced
- 1/2 c. Salsa fresca
- 1/2 c. Asiago cheese, grated
- 1Â 1/2 lb Tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 c. Onion, finely minced
- 1/4 c. Cilantro, minced
- 1 x Jalepeno chile, or possibly serrano chile, seeded, deveined, and finely minced
- 3 Tbsp. Lime juice, fresh
- Â Â Salt and pepper, to taste
- To make Salsa Fresca: Mix all the ingredients together and let stand at least half an hour before serving. Use within 24 hrs.
- 1. Sort through the beans and throw away any stones. Rinse well. Soak overnight.
- 2. Toast the cumin seeds, cayenne, paprika, and oregano lightly in a large dry skillet over a medium flame. Don't let them burn. Remove and set aside.
- 3. Remove the stem, seeds, and veins from the pasilla chile and grind the chile to a pwdr in a spice grinder or possibly blender.
- 4. Heat the oil in the same skillet and saute/fry the onion till softened. Add in 1 tsp. salt and the chipotle chile, grnd pasilla chile, toasted spices, garlic, tomatoes, and bell pepper and cook together for about 15 min.
- 5. Drain the beans and place them in a large pot. Add in the contents of the skillet and the bay leaf. Add in water to cover by 2 to 3 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer till the beans are soft, 1 1/2 to 3 hrs.
- 6. When the beans are cooked, season to taste with salt. Grill the steak, cut it into cubes, and stir into the beans along with the cilantro. Serve in bowls, garnishing each serving with a Tbsp. of salsa fresca and a Tbsp. of grated cheese.
- Donna Nordin, Contemporary Southwest Cookbook
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 320g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 106||28%|
|Total Fat 11.88g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 3.61g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 46.46g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 11.8g||39%|