Cost per serving $2.22 view details
- 2 c. dry black beans
- 1 Tbsp. veg. oil
- 1 c. coarsely-minced onion
- 3/4 c. diced red sweet pepper - (1 medium)
- 3/4 c. diced green sweet pepper - (1 medium)
- 4 x garlic cloves chopped
- 2 x jalapeno peppers - (to 4) seeded, and
- Â Â thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chili pwdr
- 1 tsp grnd cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 3 c. water
- 4 med plum tomatoes minced
- 1/2 c. minced green sweet pepper
- 1/2 x ripe avocado seeded, peeled,
- Â Â and finely minced
- 2 x green onions minced
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro
- Â Â Dairy lowfat sour cream (optional)
- Rinse beans. In a large saucepan combine beans and sufficient water to cover them. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 min. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. (Or possibly, omit boiling and soak beans overnight.)
- Drain and rinse the beans. In a 4- or possibly 6-qt pressure cooker combine the beans, onion, red pepper, the 3/4 c. green pepper, garlic, jalapeno peppers, chili pwdr, cumin, salt, black pepper, and water.
- Lock lid in place. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe (if you have a first-generation cooker). Over high heat, bring cooker up to pressure. Reduce heat just sufficient to maintain pressure and pressure regulator rocks gently; cook for 12 min.
- Meanwhile in a medium mixing bowl stir together minced tomatoes, 1/2 c. minced green sweet pepper, avocado, green onions, lime juice, and cilantro.
- Quick-release the pressure. Carefully remove lid. Serve with salsa and lowfat sour cream, if you like.
- This recipe yields 4 main-dish servings (6 2/3 c.).
- Comments: If desired a thicker soup, slightly mash some of the beans before serving. The tomato salsa adds both flavor and color to this chili. Serve with hot tortillas or possibly corn bread.
- Make-ahead tip: Prepare salsa; cover and refrigerateup to 24 hrs.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 527g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 85||18%|
|Total Fat 9.63g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1.35g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 75.43g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 20.9g||70%|