Cost per recipe $15.19 view details
- 4 c. dry black beans
- 2 lrg red bell peppers
- 3 Tbsp. cumin seed
- 2Â 1/2 Tbsp. dry oregano (leaf, not grnd)
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lrg onions, finely minced
- 1Â 1/2 c. diced green bell pepper
- 3 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 4Â 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 c. crushed tomatoes
- 4 x to 6 (or possibly more!) fresh jalapenos, seeded and deveined, finely minced
- Â Â WEAR GLOVES when working with peppers.
- Sort and rinse the beans, place them in a pot with 'sufficient' water and soak them overnight. Drain off water and rinse, add in sufficient new water to cover by two inches and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, till beans are tender (about 1 hour), adding more water if necessary. Drain beans, saving 3 c. of the liquid.
- Return beans to pot with 1 1/2 c. of the liquid.
- Roast the red bell pepper under the broiler till the skin is charred, then throw it into a paper bag and close the bag. Set it aside to cold.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees, put cumin seed and oregano in a small baking pan or possibly casserole and roast till fragrant, shaking pan occasionally (about 10 min).
- Heat oil in skillet. Saute/fry onions, green pepper and garlic for 3 min, then add in cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne and salt. Cook about 10 min more, then add in tomatoes and jalapenos and bring to a boil for a couple of min.
- Stir all this in with the beans.
- Get the red bell pepper out of the bag, peel the skin off, remove seeds etc.
- (After peeling, if any parts look like they got badly burned, cut them away.)
- Chop and add in to beans.
- Simmer everything for a while, thinning with the rest of the saved bean liquid as desired.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2349g|
|Calories from Fat 1124||27%|
|Total Fat 128.19g||160%|
|Saturated Fat 19.04g||76%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 586.85g||156%|
|Dietary Fiber 149.0g||497%|