I have tried a lot of veggie burger recipes and some have been disappointing – dry, crumbly and sometimes tasteless.
These are the best I have ever made. Full of flavor, they keep their shape during cooking and are packed full of protein. If your grilling days are over for the year, they can be cooked in a skillet on the stovetop or under a broiler (oven grill) instead.
- 2 14oz (396g) cans black beans, drained
- 2 cups (8oz,226g) grated zucchini/courgette â this is roughly one large zucchini
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (4oz,113g) wholewheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon wholewheat flour
- 1/4 cup (3oz, 85g) chopped walnuts
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup Eggbeaters
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place the beans in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork or masher.
- Add all the other ingredients except the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Form into six burgers and arrange them on a plate.
- Mix the olive oil and lemon juice and brush over the burgers.
- Grill or fry until golden brown on each side, approx 5-6 minutes. Turn over and repeat on the other side.
- Serve in a wholewheat bun with all your favorite accompaniments â lettuce, tomato, pickles, ketchup etc
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 12g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 38||90%|
|Total Fat 4.26g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1.35g||5%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.13g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|