This warm and hearty stew is full of vegetable chunks, and tender beef chunks. Try serving is with warm French or sourdough bread, and a hearty Cabernet or Syrah. This is just a fantastic, comfort beef stew. I kept tasting it, thinking it would need some sort of additional spice, but in the end I added nothing to it. It's just delicious as it is!
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat (in 1 inch chunks)
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 2-3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 4 medium new potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 1 pound squash (zucchini, summer squash, etc.)
- 8 oz medium mushrooms, halved
- Mix flour, slat, and pepper on waxed paper. Roll the stew meat in the mixture to coat. Use all the mixture.
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter and 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add the meat in batches and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion and saute until tender. Add more oil if needed. Add wine and bring to a boil. Add stock, tomato paste, marjoram, and garlic, and scrape up the browned meat from the bottom of the pot.
- Return meat to the pot, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and carrots and bring to a boil. Reduce head to medium-low and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Add squash and mushrooms and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes longer.
- Adjust seasoning as needed and serve.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 810g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 186||35%|
|Total Fat 20.95g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 7.67g||31%|
|Trans Fat 0.15g|
|Total Carbs 56.2g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.0g||33%|