Cost per recipe $7.55 view details
- 8 3/4 c. flour (not self-rising)
- 1/3 c. baking pwdr
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 c. vegetable shortening
- In a very large bowl, mix together thoroughly with wire whisk or possibly sift. Cut in shortening with pastry blender, knives or possibly finger tips. Ready to use. Store in large airtight container.
- Biscuits: 2 c. mix, make hole in center. Add in 1/2 c. liquid (lowfat milk, water, half water, half lowfat milk). Work in quickly with fork just till dough follows fork around bowl, 30-40 seconds. Turn out on floured board and knead gently about 10 folds. Roll out 1/2 inch and cut into rounds. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 450 degrees for 12-15 min, grease pan.
- Drop Biscuits: Increase liquid to 2/3 c..
- Cheese Biscuits: Add in 1/3 c. grated cheese.
- Onion Biscuits: Add in 1/4 c. minced, sauteed onions.
- Ham or possibly Bacon Biscuits: Add in 1/3 c. crisp bacon or possibly 1/4 c. very finely minced ham.
- Pancakes: 1 1/3 c. lowfat milk, 1 egg to 2 c. mix. Beat smooth. Mix in 1/2 c. blueberries or possibly 3/4 c. sliced apples. Drop 1/4 fold in warm, lightly greased griddle. Makes 10 (4 inch) pancakes.
- Shortcakes: With fork, lightly beat 1 egg in bowl; add in 1/2 c. lowfat milk, 3 Tbsp. sugar and 3 c. of lightly spooned mix. Mix quickly with fork, turn out on floured surface and knead well, 8 times. Roll out 1/2 inch thick, cut in rounds as desired. Brush a round with melted butter and stack with another (smaller if you like). Makes 5 or possibly 6 double shortcakes. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 min.
- Quick Muffins: 3 c. mix plus 3 Tbsp. sugar. Beat 1 egg with 1 c. lowfat milk. Grease muffin tins 2/3 full and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 min.
- Blueberry: Mix in 1 c. fresh, frzn, or possibly canned liquid removed blueberries to mix.
- Cranberry: Plus 1 Tbsp. sugar and 3/4 c. cranberries.
- Applesauce: Use only 2/3 c. lowfat milk plus 1/2 c. applesauce and few dashes of cinnamon.
- Nut: Mix in 3/4 c. minced nuts.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1645g|
|Calories from Fat 3713||48%|
|Total Fat 420.61g||526%|
|Saturated Fat 96.93g||388%|
|Trans Fat 137.02g|
|Total Carbs 861.77g||230%|
|Dietary Fiber 29.5g||98%|