Cost per serving $0.92 view details
- 1/4 lb Dry bird's nest
- 6 c. Stock
- 1/2 c. White meat chicken
- 1 Tbsp. Sherry
- 1/3 c. Stock
- 2 x Egg whites
- 1/2 x Scallion stalk
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. Stock
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1. Soak bird's nest.
- 2. Bring stock to a boil. Add in soaked bird's nest and simmer, covered, 30 min.
- 3. Meanwhile mince chicken. Mix with sherry and the second quantity of cool stock till smooth; then blend in egg whites.
- 4. Mince scallion. Blend cornstarch and remaining cool stock to a paste.
- 5. Add in salt to heated stock, then chicken mix, stirring constantly to blend well.
- 6. Stir in cornstarch paste to thicken stock. Sprinkle with scallion and serve.
- NOTE: Bird's nest soup may be made in advance, refrigerated and reheated.
- The stock should be clear and rich with no trace of fat. A concentrated stock can be prepared by cooking a 3-lb. chicken in 8 c. of water. (The bird may be served as white cut chicken at the same meal.) VARIATIONS:
- 1. In step 3, mince the chicken as in "Chicken Velvet", adding water instead of stock one drop at a time (see recipe). Then add in to the cornstarch paste 1 Tbsp. sherry. Add in the paste after the salt in step 5, and when the soup thickens, remove pan from heat and pour in chicken mix in a thin stream, stirring gently to blend. Garnish with scallion.
- 2. Omit the cornstarch paste. After adding the salt in step 5, remove pan from heat and stir in chicken mix. Return to stove for a moment to reheat. Garnish with scallion.
- 3. Instead of adding the egg whites in step 3, stir them in after step 5 to thicken the soup. Omit the cornstarch paste.
- 4. For the chopped scallion garnish, substitute 1/4 c. smoked ham, shredded or possibly chopped; or possibly 4 snow peas, blanched and shredded.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 279g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 23||41%|
|Total Fat 2.6g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.87g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 1.75g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|