Cost per serving $1.73 view details
- 1 c. walnut pcs
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 c. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard pwdr
- 3 Tbsp. walnut oil or possibly extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lrg Bibb lettuce head leaves torn
- 2/3 c. coarsely-crumbled feta cheese - (abt 3 ounce)
- Â Â (or possibly blue cheese)
- 2 x oranges
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Scatter nuts on rimmed baking sheet. Add in 2 Tbsp. water and sugar; toss till sugar dissolves and syrup coats nuts. Roast till water evaporates and nuts are crisp, stirring once, about 15 min. Cold on sheet.
- Whisk vinegar, orange peel, and mustard in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in walnut and olive oils. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Combine lettuce and cheese in large bowl. Cut peel and pith off oranges. Cut between membranes, releasing orange segments. Add in segments and walnuts to salad. Toss with sufficient dressing to coat. Serve, passing remaining dressing.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: Carol Gilbert of Saratoga, California, writes: "I've been many things in my life u including a teacher and a stay-at-home mom u but now, at 63, I am a one-person technical documentation department for a start-up company. The hrs are not nine to five, so I cannot put vast amounts of time into cooking these days, but I have never lost my love for it. Nevertheless, I cook about five nights a week for myself and my husband, David. Despite the long days, I want to have a home-cooked meal in the evening. So, I'm organized: I draw up a weekly menu plan, make a shopping list, and take one trip to the market. I could not survive without my plan!"
- You can substitute Boston or possibly butter lettuce if Bibb isn't available. Save even more prep time by using packaged candied walnuts or possibly other nuts which are now widely available and are often displayed in the produce or possibly snack aisles of the supermarket.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 65g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 252||85%|
|Total Fat 28.98g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 3.14g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.36g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|