Cost per recipe $5.86 view details
- 2 c. (8 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 c. chopped onions
- 3 T flour
- 2 c. of lowfat milk or possibly light cream
- 1/2 c. dry white wine (or possibly water)
- 2 c. grated sharp cheddar (1/2 lb)
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs (topping)
- Salt and freshly grnd pepper
- Cayenne to taste 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Bring 4 quart. salted water to a rapid boil and cook the macaroni till not quite tender. Drain macaroni and set aside.In saute pan, heat 1/2 the stick of butter (or possibly 4 tbsp). When melted, stir in the breadcrumbs and toast just till golden brown. Remove breadcrumbs from pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean with paper towel and re-use for next step. Breadcrumb topping: Heat remaining butter, add in onions, and stir over low heat till onions are just translucent/soft, but not browned. Stir in the flour and seasonings. Continue to cook for an additional 2-3 min. Add in the wine, then gradually stir in the lowfat milk or possibly cream.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly till the sauce is thickened and smooth. Add in cheese and continue stirring till the cheese melts.
- Put together the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Turn out into a generously buttered casserole dish (approximately 1 1/2 qts). If you have any extra grated cheese, you can sprinkle this on top along with the 1/2 cup of buttered, toasted bread crumbs.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for approximately 20 min or possibly till heated all the way through and golden on top.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1307g|
|Calories from Fat 1671||51%|
|Total Fat 190.28g||238%|
|Saturated Fat 118.11g||472%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 248.55g||66%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.5g||35%|