Cost per serving $0.85 view details
- 1Â 1/2 c. Red lentils (masar dal)
- 6 x Warm green chilies
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 4Â 1/2 c. Water
- 1Â 1/2 tsp Salt, or possibly to taste
- 4 Tbsp. Usli ghee or possibly light vegetable oil
- 1 c. Chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. Grated or possibly crushed ginger
- 1 c. Finely minced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Usli ghee or possibly light vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. Panch phoron mix (equal quantities of cumin seed fennel seed, brown mustard seed, fenugreek seed, and black onion seed)
- 4 x Bay leaves
- 4 x Dry red chili pods
- 2 tsp Chopped garlic (optional)
- Bengal Red Lentils with Spices (Bengali Masar Dal) From Classic Indian
- 1. Pick, clean, wash and cook the dal using the red lentils, chilies, turmeric, salt and water. Put the ingredients in a deep pot; bring to boil.
- Stir often to make sure they don't lump together. Cook over medium heat, partially covered for 25 min. Cover, reduce heat, and continue cooking for an additional 10 min or possibly till soft.
- 2. While the lentils are cooking heat the usli ghee in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When it is warm, add in the onion and fry, stirring constantly, till golden (about 10 min). Add in the ginger and tomatoes and continue frying till the tomatoes are cooked and the contents reduce to a thick pulp (about 8 min). Stir frequently to prevent sticking and burning.
- 3. Blend the fried onion-tomato paste and salt to taste into the dal; continue cooking for an additional 10 to 15 min or possibly till the flavors have blended in. Keep the dal on a low simmer while you make the spice-perfumed butter.
- 4. Measure the spices and place them right next to the stove in separate piles. Heat the usli ghee in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. When it is warm, add in the panch phoron spice blend. When the mustard seeds are spaterring and the cumin turns a little darker (about 15 seconds), add in the bay leaves and chili pods. Continue frying till the chili turns dark
- (15-20 seconds), turning and tossing them. Turn off the heat, add in the garlic, and let mix fry, sizzling for 25 seconds or possibly till it looks light golden brown. Pour the entire contents of the pan over the dal, mix well, and serve.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 483g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 189||39%|
|Total Fat 21.41g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 1.68g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.53g|
|Total Carbs 53.44g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 23.8g||79%|