Cost per serving $1.95 view details
- 4 med beets
- 4 sprg fresh thyme Coarse salt plus more Freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. kosher salt
- 2 med leeks, white part only
- 1/4 lb haricots verts
- 1/4 lb mache see * Note, or possibly frisee or possibly watercress
- 8 x thin slices goat cheese
- 1/2 c. walnuts toasted
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 c. grapeseed oil
- 1 Tbsp. walnut oil Coarse salt Freshly-grnd black pepper
- * Note: Mache, a member of the chicory family, is a green also known as rapunzel, feldsalat, lamb's lettuce, and corn salad, the latter because it is often grown in cornfields.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil; include a sprig of thyme on top of beet, salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle 1/4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil in each package. Coat bottom of a small cast-iron skillet proportionately with kosher salt. Place skillet in oven, and roast beets 45 min to 1 hour, till tender sufficient to be pierced with a sharp knife. Allow them to cold, and peel skin off beets by rubbing in between a paper towel.
- Quarter leeks horizontally, without cutting through the root end. Tie leeks together in a bunch with kitchen string. Bring medium pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch haricots verts till tender, 5 - 10 min. Place ice cubes in a medium mixing bowl and fill with cool water. Remove from pot with a strainer or possibly slotted spoon, refresh in bowl of ice water, and drain. Blanch leeks in same pot, till tender, 10 to 15 min. Cold to room temperature.
- Heat remaining 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add in walnuts; toast till fragrant. Season with salt.
- Arrange salad on individual plates by thinly slicing one beet per plate with a mandolin. Season beets with salt and pepper. Arrange haricots verts on top of beets, then add in mache. Drizzle vinaigrette over each salad. Place two slices of goat cheese on each salad plate, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
- SHERRY VINAIGRETTE: In small bowl, whisk together sherry vinegar, Dijon mustard, and grapeseed and walnut oils. Season to taste. (
- Makes about 1/3 c.)
- This recipe makes 4 servings.
- Cuisine: "Mexican"
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 158g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 203||86%|
|Total Fat 23.18g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 2.28g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 6.81g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||8%|