Exactly 27 years ago today My brand new husband and 6 month old baby went on a "road trip" to celebrate a honeymoon that hadn't happened yet. We had lunch at Black Dog Tavern on Martha's Vineyard and experienced pure heaven in the Mushroom Barley soup they served up. Obviously, it was memorable.
- 1lb. lean ground beef (buffalo would be great here too)
- 1 sm onion- sm chop
- 1-2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2T olive oil
- 1c. celery chopped
- 8 oz pkg mushrooms- thick sliced
- 2 carrots- chopped
- 1T fresh thyme chopped
- 2T fresh parsley chopped
- 2T fresh tarragon chopped
- 1c. pearl barley
- 2T Potato Buds (optional thickener)
- 1 box beef stock
- Saute onions and garlic in oil until translucent.
- Add ground beef and brown the meat.
- Toss in carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes or so.
- Add herbs, and beef stock.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in pearl barley and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 30 minutes adding additional water/broth if necessary.
- I used the Potato Buds to thicken the soup but its optional. Just depends how thick you like your soup!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 529g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 186||38%|
|Total Fat 20.71g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 7.41g||30%|
|Trans Fat 1.07g|
|Total Carbs 46.25g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.8g||33%|