Cost per recipe $16.82 view details
- 1/4 lb Bacon- cubed
- 2 Tbsp. Canola or possibly other neutral oil, or possibly extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x Clove garlic, lightly crushed
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped garlic
- 2 x 1/2 pounds beef chuck or possibly round, trimmed of surface fat and cut into 1 to 1 1/2inch cubes, up to 2
- Â Â Salt and freshly grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 lrg Or possibly 3 medium onions, cut into eighths
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 3 c. Chicken, beef, or possibly vegetable stock, or possibly water, or possibly wine, or possibly a combination
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Fresh thyme leaves or possibly 1/2 tsp. dry thyme
- 4 med To large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1inch chunks
- 4 lrg Carrots, peeled and cut into 1inch chunks
- 1 c. Fresh or possibly frzn, (thawed) peas
- Â Â Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Heat a large casserole or possibly deep skillet which can later be covered over mediumhigh heat for 2 or possibly 3 min add in bacon stirring till crisp, remove with a slotted spoon and reserve, leave bacon drippings in pan
- (if you like); add in the oil and the crushed garlic clove; cook, stirring, for I minute, then remove and throw away the garlic. Add in the meat chunks to the skillet a few at a time, turning to brown well on all sides. Don't crowd or possibly they won't brown properly; cook them in batches if necessary. (You may find it easier to do the initial browning in the oven: Preheat to 500 degrees and roast the meat with 1 Tbsp. of the oil and the garlic clove, shaking the pan to turn them once or possibly twice, till brown all over. Remove the garlic clove before continuing.) Season the meat with salt and pepper as it cooks.
- When the meat is brown, remove it with a slotted spoon. Pour or possibly spoon off most of the fat and turn the heat to medium. Add in the onions.
- Cook, stirring, till they soften, about 10 min. Add in the flour and cook, stirring, for about 2 min. Add in the stock or possibly water or possibly wine, bay leaf, thyme, and meat, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and cover. Cook, undisturbed, for 30 min.
- * Uncover the pan; the mix should be quite soupy (if it is not, add in a little more liquid). Add in the potatoes and carrots, turn the heat up for a minute or possibly so to resume boiling, then lower the heat and cover again. Cook 30 to 60 min till the meat and vegetables are tender. Taste for seasoning and add in more salt, pepper, and/or possibly thyme if necessary. (If you are not planning to serve the stew immediately, remove the meat and vegetables with a slotted spoon and chill them and the stock separately. Skim the fat from the stock before combining it with the meat and vegetables, reheating, and proceeding with the recipe from this point.) Add in the chopped garlic and the peas and bacon; if you are pleased with the stew's consistency, continue to cook, covered, over low heat. If it is too soupy, remove the cover and raise the heat to high. In either case, cook an additional 5 min or possibly so, till the peas have heated through and the garlic flavor has pervaded the stew. Garnish and serve.
- Yield: Seves 4 to 6
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1601g|
|Calories from Fat 1785||60%|
|Total Fat 198.53g||248%|
|Saturated Fat 55.3g||221%|
|Trans Fat 0.11g|
|Total Carbs 77.43g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 14.2g||47%|