Cost per recipe $0.85 view details
- Â Â Trimmed 4 1/2 to 5 lb. beef tenderloin roast (about 16 inches long and 3 inches diameter)
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 lrg Egg
- 1 Tbsp. Water
- 1 pkt Store bought frzn puff pastry, thawed
- Â Â Coriander walnut filling, recipe follows
- Trim tenderloin if necessary and pat dry. Halve tenderloin crosswise and season with salt and pepper. In a large heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat till just smoking and brown beef, 1 piece at a time, on all sides, about 2 min total for each piece of beef, transferring to a platter.
- Make an egg wash by lightly beating egg with water. On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin roll out pastry into a 19 by 15-inch rectangle (slightly less than 1/4-inch thick). Cut a 1-inch strip of dough from a shorter end (leaving an 18 by 15-inch rectangle) and reserve strip.
- Arrange rectangle lengthwise on a baking sheet or possibly tray (about 17 1/2 by 12 1/2-inches), letting excess hang over. Spread one third filling lengthwise down middle of rectangle, forming a 16 by 2-inch strip. Arrange beef pcs end to end lengthwise on filling and spread remaining filling on top of beef. Brush edges of dough with some egg wash. Fold up long sides of dough to enclose beef completely and seal edge. Fold ends of dough over wrapped beef and seal edges. Invert a large baking sheet onto wrapped beef and invert beef onto sheet so which pastry is seam side down. Brush crust proportionately with some egg wash. Cut out holly leaves and berries from reserved pastry strip and arrange on crust, gently pressing to make them adhere. Brush decorations with some egg wash and with a sharp knife make small steam vents every 3 inches on top of crest. Refrigeratebeef en croute, loosely covered, at least 1 hour and up to 6.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake beef en croute in middle of oven 45 min, or possibly till pastry is golden and a thermometer inserted diagonally 2 inches into center of beef registers 115 degrees. Let beef stand on sheet on a rack 25 min. Beef will continue to cook as it stands, reaching 125 degrees (medium rare).
- Yield: 16 servings
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 124g|
|Calories from Fat 325||72%|
|Total Fat 36.41g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 7.07g||28%|
|Trans Fat 0.35g|
|Total Carbs 21.58g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|