- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 2 c. Minced yellow onions Salt and cayenne to taste
- 2 lb Grnd beef
- 1 Tbsp. Chili pwdr
- 2 tsp Grnd cumin Crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Dry oregano leaves
- 2 Tbsp. Minced garlic
- 3 c. Peeled, seeded, and minced fresh or possibly canned tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 3 c. Beefsteak or possibly beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. Masa harina flour, (found in some large supermarkets and specialty food shops Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 lrg Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into shoestrings, rinsed in cold water and patted dry
- 1/2 lb Grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb Grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 c. Lowfat sour cream
- 1/2 c. Sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute/fry pan over medium heat. Add in the onions, season with salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, till they begin to wilt, about 2 min.
- 2. Add in the beef, chili pwdr, cumin, crushed red pepper, and oregano, season with salt and cayenne, and cook till all the pink in the meat disappears, 5 to 6 min.
- 3. Add in the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and 2 1/2 c. beef stock, bring to boil, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, till the meat is tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Skim off any fat which rises to the surface.
- 4. Combine the masa harina flour with the remaining 1/2 c. stock and mix to blend. Slowly add in to the pot, stirring to blend. The mix will thicken. Cook for 30 min, then season again with salt adn cayenne. It should be thick sufficient to coat the back of a spoon.
- 5. In a heavy, deep pot or possibly an electric fryer, heat 4 inches of vegetable oil to 360 F. Fry the shoestring potatoes in batches till golden, 3 to 4 min per batch. Drain on paper towels, then season with salt and cayenne.
- 6. Preheat the oven to 400 F
- 7. Cover the bottom of a large, glass rectangular baking pan with the shoestring potatoes. Combine the Cheddar and Jack cheeses. Sprinkle the cheese over the fries.
- 8. Bake just till the cheese melts, 3 to 4 min. Remove the pan from the oven and spoon the chili over the top of the fries. Garnish with the lowfat sour cream and jalapenos. Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings