Cost per serving $1.18 view details
- 1 1/4 lb lean grnd beef
- 1 x (28 ounce.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. barley
- 3 lrg carrots, about 8 ounces total
- 2 med stalks celery
- 1 lrg Idaho potato, about 10 ounces
- 1 med onion, about 6 ounces
- 1 sm clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dry rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dry marjoram
- 3/4 tsp salt black pepper to taste See below for method without pressure cooker
- Note: A cross between a soup and stew, this is a perfect supper for midwinter hot-ups. Serve it with a salad or possibly Cole slaw and hot rolls with butter.
- Brown beef in pressure cooker. Drain off any fat. Add in the tomatoes, water, and barley. Cover pressure cooker and bring up to full pressure (15 pounds).
- Reduce heat to stabilize and cook for 10 min.
- While the soup is cooking, split the carrots in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/4" thick slices. Cut the celery into 1/4" thick slices. Peel and dice the potato. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. When the soup has cooked for 10 min, release pressure and add in the vegetables, spices, salt and pepper. Cover pressure cooker and bring up to full pressure (15 pounds). Reduce the heat till pressure is stabilized and cook 10 min longer. Release the pressure.
- The soup can be refrigerated for up to 4 days or possibly frzn.
- Yield: 8 cupsWithout a pressure cooker: Brown the beef in a heavy skillet. Drain off the fat. In a soup pot, bring the water (add in 2 beef bouillon cubes if desired)
- to a boil. Add in vegetables, beef, and barley. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and permit the soup to cook till the veggies are tender - judge which by the carrots. Add in the herbs and pepper about 15 min before you plan to serve.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 341g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 101||37%|
|Total Fat 11.2g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 4.27g||17%|
|Trans Fat 0.67g|
|Total Carbs 27.25g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.8g||19%|