Cost per serving $1.61 view details
- 1 Â½ lbs lean ground beef
- Â½ cup finely diced onion
- Â½ tsp salt
- Â¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Â½ cup beef broth (a boullion cube is fine here)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Brown the ground beef in a large non-stick skillet. Add the salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce soy sauce and sugar. Continue cooking over medium high heat stirring occasionally for 30 minutes until the beef browns nicely and becomes dry & crumbly.
- Taste the meat; it should be nicely seasoned. Add the onions and continue cooking until they become translucent.
- Mix the broth and cornstarch together. Add to the meat and cook over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until the liquid thickens and lightly binds the meat together. Remove from the heat to cool to room temperature.
- Thaw the puff pastry according to package instructions. Place one sheet on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Pile the cooled meat mixture over the sheet leaving an inch of pastry on all sides. Top with the grated cheese.
- Brush the edges with the beaten egg and gently lay the second sheet of pastry over the top. Gently press around the edges to seal. With the tines of a fork, go around the crust one more time to make a decorative edge.
- Brush the inside of the top lightly with the beaten egg, leaving the edges plain to allow the pastry to rise during cooking. Make several shallow slits with the tip if a sharp knife on the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in a preheated (important) 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until puffed and rich golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 213g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 289||62%|
|Total Fat 32.38g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 16.19g||65%|
|Trans Fat 1.07g|
|Total Carbs 8.62g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|