This is a print preview of "Beans With Broccoli Rabe" recipe.
Beans With Broccoli Rabe Recipe
2 c. cooked beans
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (orig was 3 tbsp)
1 x onion finely diced
1 x carrot finely diced
2 x cloves garlic (my addition)
1 x bay leaf
1 tsp dry oregano
1 bn broccoli rabe salt and pepper
1 c. liquid
2 Tbsp. minced parsley thin slices parmesan cheese optional
- I used canned Great Northern Beans
- I used soy sauce
- orig called for bean cooking liquid; I used 1 c. vegetable broth
- Saute/fry the onion, carrot, bay leaf, oregano and garlic in the extra virgin olive oil for about 8 min. Add in the rabe and broth. When wilted, add in the beans and simmer, till the greens are done, 15 - 20 min. Add in more liquid as needed.
- Garnish with parsley and cheese.
- Madison recommends serving this with garlic croutons to soak up the sauce.
- I served it with brown rice.
- NOTES : We tried broccoli rabe last night for the first time, and we liked it. It is somewhat bitter, so sweetness from the carrots and the vegetable broth were nice complements. I think parsnips would be good in this, too. Other strong greens such as collards, mustard or possibly turnip greens would work well, too.
- You can eliminate the oil entirely and saute/fry the veggies in broth.
- Then the dish would be virtually fatfree.
- Madison suggests serving this in a soup bowl with garlic croutons.
- I served it over brown rice. And DH smothered it with warm sauce.
- This came together very quickly, and it was very good. This is a simple meal which includes protein, grains, and greens. It's a keeper!