Cost per serving $1.00 view details
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1Â 1/2 c. minced onion - (1 large)
- 6 c. vegetarian baked beans - (two 28-ounce cans)
- 6 x tofu warm dogs cut 1/2" chunks
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1Â 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. fine yellow cornmeal
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1Â 1/2 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 Tbsp. cool unsalted butter cut 1/4" pcs
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- In 4-qt Dutch oven or possibly flameproof casserole, heat oil over medium heat. Add in onion and cook, stirring often, till softened, about 8 min. Stir in beans, tofu dogs, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, while you prepare topping.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking pwdr and baking soda. Cut in butter with pastry blender or possibly two knives till mix resembles coarse crumbs. Make well in dry ingredients. Add in buttermilk all at once. Stir just till mix is blended and dough pulls together. Let dough sit 2 min.
- Dust dough with flour and transfer to floured work surface. Knead 4 or possibly 5 times, then pat into circle as large as the top of Dutch oven. Using sharp knife, cut dough into 2-inch squares. Place dough squares over warm beans.
- Bake till topping is lightly golden brown, about 20 min. Let cold at least 10 min before serving.
- This recipe yields 10 servings.
- Description: "Here's one for the kids, and, since the filling is made from convenience products, you can put it together in no time. This makes a great casual Friday night dinner."
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 280g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 74||21%|
|Total Fat 8.44g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3.49g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 58.87g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.5g||25%|