This dish is from south-eastern Spain where Moorish influences are still found in many dishes. The combination of middle eastern spices and pork is wonderful. These are often served on kebabs as part of a tapas dish called Pinchos Morunos. You can follow the same directions below, cutting the meat into 1 inch chunks and grilling for a few minutes on each side, for a very tasty kebab. Or follow my instructions for an equally tasty pork tenderloin. I'd recommend the kebabs if you're serving 6 or fewer or if serving as an appetizer. The tenderloin is much easier if serving a large crowd.
- 2 pound pork tenderloin
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp paprika (Spanish if possible)
- 1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads, crumbled (I always use these, but I imagine they are optional given the subtle flavor relative to the other spices)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp very dry sherry or dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the tenderloin into 6 to 8 inch long pieces. Make a few incision in each side about 1/4 inch deep and spaded about 1 inch apart for the marinade to penetrate.
- Combine all other ingredients to a small bowl and stir.
- Put the tenderloin and marinade into a ziplock bag, squeeze out the air and zip. Kneed with hands to work the marinade into the pork. Refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Spray the grill or tenderloin with a light covering of spray oil. Put tenderloin pieces on grill and rotate every 3-4 minutes to ensure even cooking on all sides. Depending on thickness, this should take about 12-16 minutes. If using a thermometer, remove when the tenderloin registers 160 F in the middle.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 273g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 136||38%|
|Total Fat 15.33g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 2.99g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 5.39g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|