I had one of the best meals of my life, while on a wine-tasting trip with my father in Paso Robles, California, at a small restaurant called the 10th St. Basque Cafe. They only offer one seating meal to everyone in the restaurant. But it's a many course affair with some absolutely amazing food. Upon recommendation from another CookEatShare chef, I recently picked up "The Basque Table" by Teresa Barrenechea. This is the first dish that I've adapted from that book. We did a few things slightly differently, but kept to the theme. I thought this was just delicous, both the night of and as leftovers. The tomato, red bell pepper, and onion combine to make such a sweet, carmelized, pungent sauce that I guarantee you will end up swabbing up every last drop. It's comfort food, but memorable comfort food for sure!
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces (I used thighs)
- Kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 (15.5) ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 11/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- SprinkIe the chicken generously with the kosher or sea salt. Keep the chicken in the refrigerator or another cool place while you cook the vegetables.
- In a skillet, heat 1/2 of the olive oil (6 Tbsp) over medium heat. Cook the garlic for 1 to 2 minutes, until it turns golden brown. Add the onion, and saute it for about 10 minutes, until it is softened. Add the red peppers and tomatoes, mix well, and season with salt and sugar. Cook, stirring, for about 15 minutes.
- In a deep skillet or stockpot, heat the remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add the chicken, and cook it for 10 to 15 minutes, turning it, until it is lightly browned on all sides . Add the pepper-tomato mixture and the wine, and mix well. Reduce the heat to medium, partially cover the pot, and cook for about 45 minutes, until the sauce thickens and the
- chicken is cooked through.
- Gently stir in the lemon juice, and cook 5 minutes more. Serve the chicken with sauce over it and garnished with parsley. Accompany with a grain like rice, couscous, or bulgar, with boiled or roasted potatoes with parsley, or with your favorite artisan bread.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 459g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 726||70%|
|Total Fat 81.34g||102%|
|Saturated Fat 17.25g||69%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 13.9g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|