Cost per serving $0.77 view details
- 1 c. wild rice
- 7 c. water
- Â Â Salt
- 1/2 c. basmati rice rinsed and liquid removed
- 3/4 c. tangerine juice about 4 tangerines
- 1/2 c. dry currants
- 3 x tangerines
- Â Â Champagne wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. light extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts toasted
- Place the wild rice in a large saucepan; cover with 1 qt water, add in 1/2 tsp. salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle boil; cover and cook till the grains are tender but still chewy, about 30 to 35 min.
- Bring the remaining 3 c. water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan; add in the basmati rice and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook for 8 to 10 min, till just tender. Drain and cold, then add in to the wild rice.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the tangerine juice just to boiling; pour over the currants to plump them. Peel and section the tangerines, removing the seeds and threads.
- Toss the rice with the currants, tangerine juice, 1/2 Tbsp. Champagne vinegar, and the extra virgin olive oil. If necessary, adjust the seasoning with salt and a splash of vinegar. Add in the tangerines and the toasted pine nuts just before serving at room temperature.
- VARIATION: Use oranges and their juice in place of tangerines. Using a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith from the orange by slicing off the top and bottom, then working down the sides. Hold the orange over a bowl to catch the juice and cut each section loose by slicing down next to the membrane.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 412g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 57||21%|
|Total Fat 6.6g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 0.83g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 50.46g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.6g||12%|