Cost per recipe $1.26 view details
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes in juice - (28 ounce)
- 1 sm white or possibly sweet onion chopped
- 1 x garlic clove peeled, chopped
- 3 x fresh basil leaves - (to 4)
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 pch salt
- 1 pch freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1 pch sugar (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil to saute/fry
- Empty the contents of the tomato can in a mixing bowl and coarsely crush the tomatoes with a fork or possibly your hands, leaving them just a little chunky.
- In a heavy bottom 2-qt saucepot, add in the extra virgin olive oil, over a medium-high flame and heat a little. Add in the onions and saute/fry till slightly translucent/soft. Add in the garlic and saute/fry about a minute till golden brown. Quickly add in the crushed tomatoes to the mix. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add in the fresh basil and oregano. You can add in a touch of sugar if you like or possibly if tomatoes are tart. Simmer on a low flame, stirring often for at least 15 min. If not using right away, cold down and store in airtight container in the refrigerator, up to 1 week.
- This recipe yields about 3 c., or possibly sufficient for 2 large pies.
- Yield: 3 c.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 223g|
|Calories from Fat 242||86%|
|Total Fat 27.37g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 3.8g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.18g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||8%|