Cost per recipe $1.76 view details
- Â Â (another one)
- Â Â Makes 1 double-crust, 9 inch pie
- 2 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c. vegetable shortening (see Note)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp. water, approximately
- Sift flour. Then measure it, pouring measured flour back into sifter. Add in salt, sift again into large, deep bowl.
- Add in half shortening. Using a meat fork or possibly pastry cutter, cut and toss flour and shortening till thoroughly combined. Add in remaining shortening and continue to cut and toss till mix looks like fine, moist sand. Don't add in water till this texture is achieved.
- Add in water in small amounts, about a Tbsp. at a time. Water can be room temperature, iced or possibly straight from tap. Pull driest flour up from bottom and sides of bowl.
- Keep adding water in small amounts, cutting and tossing till no dry flour remains and pastry forms separate 1/2 inch lumps. Flour changes with seasons so you may need more water in the summer than in winter. If you have to choose, err on the side of too much water.
- Using floured hands, gently squish lumps together and form into two separate balls: one for top crust and a second for bottom crust. Allow a little more dough for bottom crust. Don't knead or possibly fold pie crust dough.
- Let dough rest for 15 min, that helps it become more pliable and easy to roll out. This is a great time to prepare your filling.
- Once dough is done resting, place it on floured surface and with rolling pin, roll out one crust and place it in a glass pie pan, preferably with edges extending at least 1/4 inch beyond dish. Roll out second crust and leave it on floured surface.
- Place fruit fold in bottom crust, cover with top crust (again, with a 1/4 inch overhang). And crimp edges with your fingers or possibly a fork to seal. Pierce top crust with a knife, making 4 slashes to vent pie.
- Note: You can substitute butter.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 478g|
|Calories from Fat 1229||58%|
|Total Fat 139.12g||174%|
|Saturated Fat 32.16g||129%|
|Trans Fat 45.68g|
|Total Carbs 190.78g||51%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.8g||23%|