A custard that develops into a thinner, velvety, smooth cream. It can stand alone as a classic spooned (cold/warm) dessert or used to accentuate one. This cream needs only egg yolks and starch is not required. Adapted from the book: ‘Larousse- Best Desserts ever’
For a dedicated post...refer to:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . 4 large egg yolks
- . 1/4 cup (55g) granulated sugar*
- . 2 cups (500ml) milk** (low fat+)
- . 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) premium, Vanilla extract
- . * Sweetness desired: If youâre not sure how sweet you want the cream...start with half the quantity mentioned and work your way up from there. Note: the quantity in this recipe is generally a good balance.
- . ** Regular cowâs milk can also be replaced successfully with: Almond milk, Goat milk or Rice milk without much altering of the initial intention of the cream.
- . In a small-medium saucepan, hand whisk the egg yolks and sugar until a smooth paste has formed.
- . Add just a little quantity of milk and whisk to soften the thick paste. Afterwards, continually whisk in the remaining milk until all is combined. Note: this is one of the better ways to avoid getting curdles in the egg mix. It will assure a smooth, lump-free custard every time. It also avoids having to later strain it.
- . Over medium-high heat, start whisking the custard gently at first. Once a very low simmering boil appears, a quicker whisking motion should take place. As the mix starts rising slightly and lightly thickening, shut the heat and remove the pot. The cream is ready and the vanilla extract can now be added. Note: if there are any other add-in selections...this is the moment to combine the extra ingredient(s).
- . Let the cream rest for about 15 minutes more while giving it a stir every so often. Transfer the cream to a medium bowl and cover it with a plastic wrap touching the surface. This will avoid a dry skin from forming. When the cream has cooled at room temperature, transfer it to the refrigerator for a few hours to set until cold. This cream keeps well for 2-3 days.
- . Claudia's flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com