I don't much care for the flavor of shortening in frostings, so I always just used butter. However, since I'm in love with Butter Flavor Crisco now, I made a batch of buttercream frosting using it with butter, and can't taste the shortening. Yum!
You can add any flavor to this basic recipe: extracts, citrus juices, cocoa, melted chocolate, etc.
- 1 stick butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Cream butter and Crisco with sugar using a hand mixer.
- Add vanilla and a bit of milk.
- If you're adding another liquid, be sparing with the milk.
- Refrigerate for up to 10 days.
- Will freeze.