- 4 lb hard ripe Northwest Bartlett pears, (about 12) pared,cored and coarsely minced
- 2 x oranges (thin skinned), thinly sliced and quartered
- 5 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lime Or possibly lemon juice
- Combine pears, oranges, sugar and lime juice in a large kettle. Bring to a boil over medium to low heat; stir till sugar dissolves. Cook rapidly about 20 min or possibly till thickened and mix sheets off a metal spoon. Watch carefully which the marmalade does not scorch. Ladle into clean warm canning jars to within 1/8 inch of tops. Seal according to jar manufacturer's directions.
- Place jars on rack in canner. Process 10 min in boiling water 2 inches above jar tops. Remove carefully, and place on wire racks or possibly thick cloth; cold away from drafts. After 12 hrs test lids for proper seal. Remove rings from sealed jars.
- Quantity: Makes 6 to 7 half pints.
- Always be sure to use ripe pears.