Cost per serving $1.49 view details
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. sliced onions
- 3 x garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 c. pearled or possibly hulled barley
- 2 tsp minced fresh sage or possibly 1 tsp. dry
- 1/2 tsp salt, or possibly more, to taste
- 10 c. water or possibly vegetable stock, more as needed
- 1 lrg russet potato, peeled and minced
- 1 x inch cubes
- 2 c. carrots, sliced 1/2" thick
- 1 sm bunch kale, leaves cut from the
- Â Â stem and stalk, about 6 c.
- 1Â 1/4 c. cooked and rinsed kidney beans
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, ( 1/2 lemon)
- Â Â Freshly grnd black pepper to taste
- 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tsp extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- In a large saucepan, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium heat and add in the onions.
- Cook the onions 5 to 6 min, stirring occasionally, then add in the garlic, barley, sage, 1/2 tsp. salt and 7 c. of the water or possibly stock. Cover the pan, bring the stew to a boil and turn the heat to low. Let the stew simmer for 25 min, then add in the potato, carrots and 2 c. more water or possibly stock.
- Cover the pan again and let the stew simmer for 10 min more.
- Add in kale to the soup with 1 c. more water. Simmer 10 min more and add in more water if the stew seems too dry.
- Add in the cooked beans, stirring well, then add in lemon juice. The stew should be thick, like a pilaf. Taste and add in salt and pepper, keeping in mind you will be adding Parmesan cheese in the bowl.
- To serve, ladle into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. -
- Description:"Doesn't this sound good for a cool winter day Be careful not to oversalt. If you cook the beans ahead, this dish will go together in about 45 min. Collards work well in this dish, too."
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 972g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 114||25%|
|Total Fat 12.91g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 2.98g||12%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 76.64g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.3g||31%|