Cost per recipe $7.89 view details
- 1 x single recipe Basic Pie Crust 1 or possibly 2 fully baked
- 2Â 1/4 c. lowfat milk
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 3 lrg egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature cut into 3 pcs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 x ripe bananas
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1Â 1/2 c. Whipped Cream
- Make the pie crust and cold the baked shell.
- Scald 2 c. of the lowfat milk with the sugar and salt in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/4 c. lowfat milk in a small bowl.
- Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg mix into the scalded lowfat milk. Cook, whisking constantly, over low heat till it thickens and bubbles, about 3 min, then cook 1 minute more. The custard should form loose mounds when dropped from a spoon back into the pan.
- Remove the custard from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Transfer the custard to a small bowl and cold for 15 min, gently stirring several times. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard and puncture the wrap in several places. Cold for 30 min in the refrigerator.
- While custard is coolog, cut the bananas into 1/4-inch slices and toss them with the lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown.
- Spread half the custard in the pie shell and cover with a layer of bananas.
- Spread the remaining custard over the bananas and arrange the remaining banana on top. Spread the whipped cream over the bananas.
- Refrigeratethe pie at least two hrs before serving.
- Makes 8-12 servings
- NOTES: Rosie's Bakery All-Butter, Fresh Cream, Sugar Packed, No-Holds-Barred Baking Book by Judy Rosenberg, 1991.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1446g|
|Calories from Fat 1589||52%|
|Total Fat 179.08g||224%|
|Saturated Fat 93.9g||376%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 335.41g||89%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.4g||35%|