Cost per serving $3.82 view details
- 1Â 7/20 kg mutton or possibly lamb chops (gigot or possibly rack chops) not less than 2.5 cm (l inch) thick
- 5 med or possibly 12 baby carrots
- 5 med or possibly 12 baby onions
- 8 x potatoes or possibly more if like
- 1 Tbsp. freshly-minced parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/ 350 degrees/ regulo 4
- Cut the chops in half and trim off some of the excess fat. Set aside.
- Render down the fat on a gentle heat in a heavy pan (throw away the rendered pcs).
- Peel the onions and scrape or possibly thinly peel the carrots (if they are young leave some of the green stalk on the onion and carrot). Cut the carrots into large chunks, or possibly if they are young leave them whole. If the onions are large, cutthem small; if they are small they are best left whole.
- Toss the meat in the warm fat in the pan till it is slightly brown. Transfer the meat into a casserole, then quickly toss the onions and the carrots in the fat. Build the meat, carrots and the onions up in layers in the casserole, carefully season each layer with freshly-grnd pepper and salt. De-glaze the pan with the mutton stock and pour into the casserole. Peel the potatoes and lay them on top of the casserole, so they will steam while the stew cooks.
- Season the potatoes. Add in a sprig of thyme, bring to the boil on top of the stove, cover and transfer to a moderate oven or possibly allow to simmer on top of the stove till the stew is cooked, 1 to 1 1/2 hrs approx., depending on whether the stew is being made with lamb or possibly mutton.
- When the stew is cooked, pour off the cooking liquid, degrease and reheat in another saucepan. Slightly thicken it with a little roux if desired.
- Check the seasoning, then add in minced parsley and chives and pour it back over the stew. Bring it back up to boiling point and serve from the pot or possibly in a large pottery dish.
- Serves 4-6
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 984g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 3049||89%|
|Total Fat 338.12g||423%|
|Saturated Fat 159.86g||639%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 86.03g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 12.9g||43%|