Very impressive - great on a cold day!
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cost per serving $1.07 view details
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 4 large red or green sweet peppers
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1/4 cup (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cook rice in 1-1/2 cups boiling salted water for 35 minutes or until tender. Drain if necessary. Set aside.
- Cut peppers in half. Remove seeds and white membrane. Parboil peppers in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Arrange in slightly oiled, shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in small skillet. Add onion, celery, and sunflower seeds. Saute until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir into rice. Add parsley, eggs,oregano, chiles, black pepper, and salt to taste. Fill peppers with mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top. Put about 1/3 cup hot water in bottom of dish. Bake at 400 degrees F. for about 20 minutes.
- Good served with: Stewed tomatoes and corn bread (bake corn bread along with peppers).
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 147g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 184||57%|
|Total Fat 21.2g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 9.72g||39%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 24.32g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||9%|